What will you read at the beach this summer?


Sooo…, I thought Beach Books would be a good subject for discussion on the BookCatalyst Online Book Group Blog. I did a search for current Beach Reads and what did I find out?  If the articles I read are to be believed, only twenty-to-fifty something women read at the Beach anymore and the range of suggested titles seems aimed at an even narrower sub-demographic of that group. Think mostly romance titles.
In desperation, I googled Best Beach Reads of the Twentieth Century. Were we smarter then?  Or was it that the far more fascinating world of video games, Internet, and cell phones didn’t exist yet? I found two lists, one of oldies but classics and the other list, including many books of more recent vintage, also happily applies to anyone baking their winter flesh in a swimsuit. The first list doesn’t actually SAY  Beach Reads but I include it since my search found it and it includes many books I’ve read with pleasure plus several about which I tell myself, “I should read that.”, every time I see them mentioned. Here’s the link.


1984, Brave New World, One Hundred Years of Solitude? Check. To Kill a Mockingbird, Steppenwolf, Lolita, Catch-22? Check. The Catcher in the Rye, Slaughterhouse-Five, A Clockwork Orange?  There’s enough here to keep you reading for a year or two, not just at the beach.


This list won me with a title at the top, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. All the Stieg Larson books pass muster, too. I bet a lot of sand has found its way into the pages of the Harry Potter books.
Titles that I haven’t seen listed but that I think make the grade include James Michener’s The Source (in fact, a lot of his books make the grade at the shore), War and Peace, any Agatha Christie book, and Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy. Speaking of trilogies, did I mention Tolkien?
What are your favorite Beach Reads? Enrich the range of our possibilities by suggesting them, OK? Just click on "Comment" to get started.
Ciao for now.

Comments